Panes Left Table
Panes Content Table

Architecture and Urban planning

 

The perfectly preserved walls were built on the old Roman walls between the 13th and the 14th centuries. They represent a meaningful example of the medieval defence system, with six gates, keeps and curtain walls with brackets. In the 16th century they underwent heavy reconstruction work by the great military architect Baccio Pontelli.

The Cattedrale di San Settimio, a cathedral dedicated to Saint Septimius the patron of Jesi, stands in Piazza Federico II, the area of the ancient Roman forum. It dates back to the 18th century and has a mostly Baroque inside. Near the cathedral there's the former Chiesa di San Floriano dating back to the 12th century. This building went a radical renovation since the 15th century and it reached the present appearance in the late Baroque period. In the first half of the 16th century Lorenzo Lotto painted there some of his masterpieces, which are now housed in the Pinacoteca Civica. At present the complex of San Floriano is the site of the Teatro-Studio Veleria Moriconi. Palazzo Ripanti is in the same square. It houses the Museo Diocesano (Diocesan Museum) which counts about 200 works of art among paintings, sculptures, liturgical ornaments, reliquaries and ex voto. Not far away from here, in Piazza Colocci there is the Palazzo della Signoria, dating back to the 15th century. Designed by Francesco di Giorgio Martini, this palace is a masterpiece of the Renaissance architecture. It encloses a quadrangle court surrounded by covered passages and by two rows of loggias. It houses the Biblioteca Planettiana, a library which counts more than 115 thousand volumes, and the municipal historic Archive, which contains documents dating back to the 12th century. The Sala Maggiore is remarkable with its 16th-century wooden ceiling and its 18th-century shelving coming from Palazzo Pianetti vecchio in via Valle, that today houses the Studio per le Arti della Stampa where presses and printing machines from different periods as well as rare books of great value are shown.

The Teatro Giovanni Battista Pergolesi stands in Piazza della Repubblica. Originally named "Theatre of Harmony", it was built between 1790 and 1798 according to a design by Francesco Maria Ciaraffoni and Cosimo Morelli. Renowned for its perfect acoustics, it contains paintings and frescoes in a profusion of gilt and Rococo motifs. In via XV Settembre, a parallel street of main Corso Matteotti, Palazzo Pianetti stands. Built in the 18th century, in Rococo style with Italian gardens, it houses the Pinacoteca Civica. The very rich collection of modern art is characterised by a considerable group of works by Lorenzo Lotto, among which the magnificent "St. Lucy altar piece" stands out, considered one of his masterpieces. The Pinacoteca houses also a collection of contemporary art as well as a splendid collection of 18th-century apothecary's pots. With its polychromatic stuccoes and paintings decorating its vaults and walls, the magnificent 70 metre-long "Galleria Rococo" stretches out on the piano nobile. It is a unique example of its kind in the centre and south of Italy.

The Chiesa di San Nicolò is a noteworthy church in Corso Matteotti, the oldest church we have written memories of. It has Romanesque origin, but was reshaped in Gothic style. In the street of the same name, there is the Benedictine Chiesa di San Marco. Dating back to the 13th century, this church contains a wonderful "Crucifixion", a Rimini School 14th-century fresco.